Monday, October 5, 2009

Getting in Shape

Getting in Shape
By Judy Vandiver

I can’t count the number of times I have said, “I’m out of shape.” As a child, I could jump rope, play hopscotch, or chase a lofty leaf for hours. Today, I get winded walking to the mailbox. Age, among other things, has slowed me down. But maybe there’s hope for me yet. Look at how God shaped the world. It was formless and void until He made it into much more.
 
Scripture records in Genesis 1:6-10:

And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. God called the expanse "sky." And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.
And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so. God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good. (NIV)

As I studied these verses, I noticed two major themes. God began to shape the world and He provided an element the (yet non-existent) humans needed for survival.” His creation wasn’t finished. In fact, to the angels, it may have looked like a mess. But He had a plan and He began “shaping things up.” He started with the
water.

I searched for other scriptures that mentioned water. For many Old Testament characters, water was more important than gold. It helped maintain their crops, livestock, and parched throats. Water is still important for our survival today. As humans, we cannot exist without it.

Keeping in the theme of the last two Bible studies, I paraphrased these verses. Perhaps God said, “Judy’s life needs a little shaping up, but I have a plan for her. She’ll have needs and I know what her most important ones are. Physically, she will need water. Spiritually she will need “living water.”

John 4:10 states “Jesus answered her, ‘If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.’” God provided for my needs before I or my needs existed. He became “living water” for me. He knew I would need Him in order to live.

Water is a symbol of life from Genesis through Revelations, where we read: “The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.” (Rev 22:17 NIV)

To Ponder On:
  1. When you look back, do you see any areas of your life where God was shaping you?
  2. Name two areas of your life that could use some “shaping up” today. Pray about those areas.
  3. With God as your guide, choose one of the two areas you have prayed about. Turn that area over to God and allow Him to shape and mold you according to His plan.
  4. Commit to keep your physical body hydrated. Drink plenty of water to maintain your health.
  5. Commit to keep your spiritual body hydrated. Read God’s Word to maintain your spiritual health.

Note about Blog schedule. I received the suggestion to blog several days together regarding my different categories of Bible study, book reviews, writing tips, devotionals, and hodge-podge-blog. I hope that grouping similar blogs will help readers easily follow each theme. Therefore, for the next few days, I will post Bible studies that finish the study from Genesis chapter one.

When these are finished, I will publish several posts on another category. The purpose of all categories is to highlight the Glory of God. As always, I welcome comments and suggestions on blogs and future blog topics. You may comment by clicking on the word “Comments” below or e-mailing me at judy@judyvandiver.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment